Tonsil stone is also known as tonsilloliths and can be caused by the accumulation of bacteria, mucus and other dead cells that get trapped in different corners of the throat. Tonsil stones are yellow in color and are responsible for sore throat and feel the person ashamed with a horrible smell. They feel like something has got stuck in the back of the throat and can form in the pockets of the tonsils that are located deep inside the mouth. These tonsil stones are sometimes squashed and tastes very bad, if swallowed. At this time, most of the people realize that they need to get rid of tonsil stones.
Some of the common symptoms of tonsil stones include – sore throat, cough, bad breath, etc. Initially, the symptoms will be very moderate and one won’t find any difference in their throat. Many people do not consider it as a problem, but if not treated properly, it may lead to surgery. One can easily get rid of tonsil stones in an initial stage. One need not even require to visit a doctor and remove the tonsil stones by themselves.
Remedies to cure tonsil stones
- Once the person realizes that he is affected by tonsil stones, he/she should be very careful while taking food. The most annoying thing will be, when the food particle gets stuck in the tonsil and the food becomes tasteless to eat.
- An overall throat care is necessary and one can prevent and remove the bacteria that causes the stones. One can flush the debris that get collected in the mouth by rinsing with water. The water flow may sometimes enable the tonsil stones to fall.
- Regular gargling with salt water is also an effective home remedy to get rid of tonsil stones. This will soothe the swollen tonsils and give some relief.
- An oxygenating toothpaste and mouthwash can be used to prevent tonsils from forming. But, one should follow the instructions carefully in using the toothpaste, as it does not require water and one must clean their tongue before brushing.
- Another method to get rid of tonsil stones is by using nasal drops.
- In order to remove tonsil stones. One can take a cotton wool dipped in water and gently push the tonsil stone upwards. This method pushes the stone out of the tonsil.
- To prevent tonsil stones, one should cut down the junk food and eat a healthy diet that is properly balanced. To build up the immune system, it is important to have a healthy diet that prevents the tonsil stones.
- Avoid dairy products before going to bed and drink plenty of water regularly. Usually, diary products cause secretion of mucus and food particles tend to stay for a longer period in the mouth. Drinking plenty of water flushes the food particles and helps I preventing tonsil stones
If the severity of tonsils increase, it is better to visit a doctor rather than trying for home remedies and other natural treatments. A doctor can recommend an appropriate remedy for the problem.